Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I got bit!

 I have some Special FX makeup that has been just sitting there, so yesterday I decided to play around since my friends and I want to dress up as zombies for Halloween. 

2 hours later, I did my whole face, and was practicing wounds on my hands. It was so much fun! And even better...SO EASY!!!!! I couldn't believe it. 
I did watch some tutorials on Youtube for some guidance, but other than that, I just did my own thing. 

I decided to recreate it today, and share with others!

What you need:
{mine came in a kit, but you don't need exactly what I have}


A foundation brush, flat eyeshadow brush, angled brush, and a concealer brush
Cream makeup (shadows should be okay) in burnt yellow, dark reddish-purple, brown, black and deep red 
A cream or liquid foundation that is lighter than your skin tone
Liquid latex
Fake blood (you can buy it or make it)
Scissors and a small cosmetic spatula
An old washcloth to wipe brushes clean after each color
Setting powder *optional*

These are the Ben Nye products I will be using.


First start with your skin being clean and dry. Dab the latex on your skin in a small area to see how your skin reacts
If you don't see irritation, go ahead and paint on latex in the shape you want your wound to be. 
You will need to apply a few layers, so make sure that you let them dry. You can use a blow dryer on the cool setting, or just let it air dry.


Once your latex's thickness is to your liking, take the spatula's corner and pierce the latex to create the "incision"
If the latex isn't cutting open very well, feel free to use small scissors CAREFULLY!!!!
{you don't want to create a real wound}


It should look a little something like this.


Using the cream or liquid foundation with the foundation brush, lightly coat the area around the wound. That way you have on a lighter shade to work with, and the colors will stand out. 
Use the yellow with the concealer brush to make it look like dead flesh {gross} 
Fill in the center of the wound with the darkest red/purple color you have using the angled brush
Start with a dark red around the wound. A good idea is too look up a picture of a bruise to see the different colors 


The key here is to blend all of the colors together. I used the concealer brush for all of mine, that way I could control it a little bit easier. 
It doesn't have to be perfect, have some fun with it. You could always wipe it off if you make a mistake. 


Adding more reds and browns to it will make it look infected and more realistic. 
You can use the yellow again to lighten up any areas that are too dark for you. 
Feel free to add even more dark colors to the inside of the wound


Now here is the really cool part.
Take your fake blood and put a light coat over the inside of the wound. 
Then paint it on the ragged pieces of "flesh"
You can also put enough blood in it to make it run down your hand instead of drawing it, so it is a little more realistic. 
*I didn't use a setting powder on mine, because I was afraid it would wash out the color.*

And that is pretty much it! It is really simple. The longest parts are waiting for the latex to dry and the blending. You can let your creativity go crazy, and scare some people along the way. :]







No comments:

Post a Comment