Monday, June 10, 2013

Euro Trip: Germany, Part One; The Start of Our Adventure

Since I have gotten back, I have seen so many people that say "Tell me all about your trip!". Well, it's really hard to sum up 21 days of traveling to 6 different countries in just a few short minutes. So what better way than write about it on here?! 

GERMANY: Part One; The Start of Our Adventure

Comfy clothes, no makeup, and taking a first day of school type of picture. At 6AM. On 2 hours of sleep. Cut me some slack please! Haha

Parker and I left my house around 6 AM and only got about 2-3 hours of sleep the night before so we could sleep on the plane and not be super jet lagged. Everything went smooth. All we had were our backpacks on our backs with very little clothing. I normally get nervous before flying, but for some reason I was more than ready to hop on a plane and start my adventure. Probably because I had been waiting for months! 

Anyways, we had a little breakfast at the airport and we were off to our layover in Chicago! That's when I paid $7.99 for "movies and TV shows". Such a ripoff. Parker slept, I didn't want to, and I probably couldn't if I tried. Five-ish hours later we landed and then grabbed some lunch. We spent waaaay too much money on lunch at Starbucks. I paid over $10 for a sandwich that had about 4 gallons of spicy mustard on it. All I could do was laugh. 


It was my first time seeing the plastic toilet seat covers. Of course I had to get a picture


After a quick nap at my gate on the seats, it was time to board. I guess Parker and I didn't realize that there would be people from Germany on our plane. Or even better, the flight attendants were German. That was our first realization that we were really leaving the United States. It was awesome! Although, we were pretty intimidated when one of the flight attendants came up to us and asked us a question in German. After a few awkward seconds of silence and noticing our eyes were about to pop out of our heads, she giggled and spoke English. We just nervously laughed it off. (Dumb Americans).

The flight was great! They had complimentary drinks, even the alcohol was complimentary! And let me tell you, they were not stingy about it either. I had two glasses of wine before dinner. I knew I was going to sleep well, haha. Dinner was actually pretty good too! It was a complete meal, which I was really impressed. Then it was time to attempt to sleep. I had one of my favorite movies playing, "A Good Year" (thanks Parker) and was ready to fall asleep.





Well, easier said than done. I hate airplane seats. I mean how are you supposed to sleep in those things?! It's almost worth paying an arm and a leg for first class. I would wake up about every hour but then eventually fall back asleep. Poor Parker couldn't sleep at all and I kept feeling him trying to get comfortable. 

In the morning we were served breakfast, which once again was nice. 



A really nice flight attendant asked where we were going and said 
"I'll be back". He came back later with a whole list of places to visit. Not only did he write down a bunch of places and details, he sat there and explained everything to us for over 5 min. It was one of the nicest things!! I was so happy that we had an "insiders" opinion of what to do and what to skip. Sadly, we didn't schedule enough days in Germany to accomplish everything, but we saved the paper for next time :] Because yes, there WILL be a next time. But that comes later...

It was time to land and it was so pretty! Everything was so green. I could tell that I was going to fall in love. Once we got off the plane we got a little confused and intimidated again by the culture. We don't know any German besides simple terms and greetings, but we were scared to even use them. I wish we wouldn't have been such big chickens because we wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what to do. 


Flying over England

You know how men and directions normally don't mix? Well, I lucked out. Parker has a great sense of direction and rarely is unsure of where he is. So I trust him 99% of the time. Well, this time I didn't. We wanted to take the tram from the airport to the train station to get to Dusseldorf and go to our hostel. We were having trouble figuring out the tickets for the tram since the machine was so different compared to machines I've dealt with before. So Parker decided we should follow the tram and just walk to the train station. 

BAD BAD BAD IDEA! It just finished pouring rain, my feet were swollen from flying and I was wearing my cute little flats that I thought wouldn't give me blisters. Boy was I wrong. Long story short, after much confusion about getting tickets at the station and finding our platform, we finally arrived to where we needed to be! Hello Dusseldorf!

Well, that's it for my first of many posts about my trip. If I did Germany in one post I would be writing until I'm 80. I'll post the next one Wednesday, so keep a look out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment